We have all been there. You know, that yucky place where you feel stuck and have no idea what to do next. You have so many ideas but they just don’t want to come out. I call it “idea constipation”! I know the analogy is kinda gross, but I know you can probably relate!
The truth is, it doesn’t matter how many ideas you have if you do nothing about them. I think success is 20% ideas and 80% action (or maybe even higher). Although procrastination and overwhelm is natural, it is important you don’t get caught up in this zone for long. You are a talented, ambitious, creative force of nature and we need you back out there doing your thing!
Here are 5 tips on how to get everything moving again so you are nice and regular (sorry, I couldn’t resist!):
- Get your cute butt outside! I am a huge advocate of exercise and nature. Give yourself two hours of uninterrupted time to spend walking or biking in a park. If you live in Vancouver, the seawall is my favorite place. Try your best to leave your iPhone at home, because I know how tempting it can be to check those emails. Let your imagination run wild and free, but try not to get caught up in all the things you “should, could or would” be doing. This is your time to let it all go baby!
- Write it out. Grab your favorite notebook and let all your ideas flow onto paper. They don’t need to be in order or look pretty; you are simply getting them all out on paper.
- Have a look at those ideas and think about what needs to be done and when. Are there any that make you feel so excited you can hardly stand it? Or maybe there are some that make you sick to your stomach because you can’t stand the thought of actually doing them. Can you scrap any immediately? How does each of these ideas make you feel?
- Take out your calendar and start scheduling out your to do list. This way you will have a time frame that everything needs to be done by instead of letting it float around in air.
- Relax!! Don’t get too hard on your own ass. Give yourself permission to take time off if you need to. Are you itching to get out of town this summer? Book it! Maybe some fresh scenery is just what you need to come up with a new idea that will make all the difference. Great ideas take time to implement well, and remember you are working for yourself so be a kind boss!
If you follow these tips you should be unclogged in no time!
Have any advice on how you cure idea constipation? Please share them below.